As the official keeper of fish, bird and big game records in Alberta, it is with a great sense of pride that the Alberta Fish and Game Association welcomes hunters and anglers to submit entries into the Annual Alberta Trophy competition. Although it is an AFGA sanctioned competition, the Annual Alberta Trophy Competition is open to “all” individuals legally taking a fish, bird, or big game species in the Province of Alberta.
The annual competition runs from January 1st to December 31st in any given year. The deadline for receiving entries is February 28th of the following year. In addition to recognizing the biggest fish, best bird or largest big game taken in a given year, the competition, through a non-current category, also recognizes big game species that have never been entered before nor recorded.
To enter the Annual Alberta Trophy Competition, a properly witnessed entry form for fish, bird or big game can be presented directly to the Alberta Fish and Game Association’s central office or through an affiliated local fish and game club. Winners of the provincial competition will receive their trophy and complimentary dinner for two at the Annual Alberta Wildlife Awards Banquet held in the last part of April.
THE AFGA OFFICE HAS AN OFFICAL WEIGH SCALE for your use, please contact the office Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm.
For further information on the Alberta Trophy Competition, for contact information for scoring, please contact the AFGA office at (780) 437-2342 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 – coming soon
Typical White Tailtypical-whitetail-deer
Typical Mule Deertypical-mule-deer
Rocky Mtn Goatrocky-mtn.-goat
Non-typical Whitetail Deernon-typical-whitetail-deer
Non-typical Mule Deernon-typical-mule-deer
Wolf – use Bear or Cougar
Largest Big Game – Archery
Largest Big Game
Non-Concurrent Big Game
MASTER Big Game
Effective January 01, 2018, all fish entries will be measured by length, as per provincial regulations, encouraging catch and release. Measurement by weight is optional.
Fish Score Sheet
Master Fish Trophy
Largest Trout Taken with a Fly
Photo Contest Rules and Regulations
- The competition is open to any member of the Alberta Fish and Game Association and affiliated clubs.
- Only non-professional contestants can enter (a non-professional is a person that does not normally receive remuneration for any photos but particularly one who does not receive any remuneration of any kind for any photos entered).
- There are three categories in which to enter:
Wildlife of Alberta
Scenic pictures of Alberta
TRAIL-CAM Photos (see item 5 below)
- The medium can be black and white or colour print. Preferred size is 8” by 10” but 5” by 7” can also be entered, but no other sizes. Entries must be unframed.
- The Newest category is the Trail Camera contest whereby the animal takes its own picture and you, the camera owner submit the photo to the AFGA office clearly marked “TRAIL CAM ENTRY”. Hard copy photos will be accepted, however digital submissions are encouraged for this category only to email@example.com. All submissions will be put on social media and the photo with the most ‘likes’ will be deemed the winner. If you’re not a social media type, don’t worry we’ll take care of it.
- All entries may be used by the Alberta Fish and Game Association, as necessary, for promotion and will be returned to the contestant upon request.
- Contestants can submit more than one entry, if they wish, but winning entries may not be submitted again.
- All decisions of the Alberta Fish and Game Association Trophy Committee will be final.
- No entry will be accepted after February 28th.