AFGA will strive to ensure that the personal information it manages in the conduct of its website membership business is protected.
To protect personal information, and assure individuals of this protection, this policy establishes procedures enabling AFGA to comply with the Federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
Scope (to whom does this apply)
This policy addresses the protection of personal information of current and former members including: individuals, clubs, club roster members, volunteers, customers, various program participants and other individuals whose personal information is collected on the AFGA.org website and other sites associated with the various membership service offerings.
Policy Details, Interpretation & Administration
AFGA collects and uses Customer Information, Direct member information, Club member information, and Club Roster member information including: name, address, telephone number, email address, profile picture, gender, associated club, family members living in same household, head of household, membership ID, membership expiration, type of membership, membership status, club insurance policies, club incorporated status, club directors, club address/email/fax/website, club year fiscal ends, club month of elections, club zone, club membership expiration, club logo, club meetings including dates and locations, club ranges and types, club range insurances, club certifications, club contacts, and other information from time to time for the following purposes:
- recording and determining the various services provided to everyone (customers, direct members, individuals, clubs and club roster members) generally;
- evaluating and re-evaluating the goods, services, needs and service benefits of existing and potential customers, direct members, individuals, clubs and club roster members;
- assessing and meeting the preferences and needs of everyone;
- administration, billing, accounting and collection in relation to the goods and services provided to everyone;
- protecting against fraud and error for everyone;
- communicating with everyone generally or to ensure member satisfaction;
- adding additional benefits/services to the sum of services already granted to current existing and potential customers, direct members, individuals, clubs and club roster members;
- working with sub-contractors (or other agents, intermediaries or third parties) during a contract or mandate for the performance of any of the purposes listed above or in providing additional services deemed necessary or beneficial to the existing members. For example: Insurance Companies, Mail Chimp, Mark’s, Outdoor Adventurists, Outdoor Canada West, Wildlife Awards, Conservation Parties, and others;
- recording and maintaining membership records, awards, volunteer roles and hours, guest passes used, executive positions, or maintaining any other information necessary for establishing or managing the member’s beneficial relationship with AFGA;
This policy establishes procedures that reflect the principles in PIPEDA. In summary, the principles are:
- Accountability: AFGA’s Data Privacy Administrator is responsible for AFGA’s compliance with PIPEDA.
- Consent: AFGA obtains individuals’ consent to collect, use and disclose personal information by requiring buyers and buyer agents to read and check that they agree to the Terms and Conditions provided at Check Out. These Terms and Conditions apply to all member types described above including customers, direct members, individuals, clubs and club roster members. Additionally, AFGA provides methods for members to opt out of some program services that won’t affect their membership accounts (e.g. unsubscribing from various email communications, providing links to delete OutdoorAdventurists.com accounts, calling member admin to opt out of Magazine Subscriptions, etc.). AFGA also provides links to Third-Party Terms and Conditions and Data Privacy Policies where they deem necessary as well as suggestions as to how they can distribute access to these to any parties affected.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: AFGA uses, discloses and retains personal information in accordance with consent obtained from Terms and Conditions on Check Out. AFGA retains records for a period of 25 years for the purposes of analytics. AFGA.org member data collection began January 1, 2019.
- Accuracy: AFGA records are updated each time a member renews or throughout the year by formally requesting a change to the AFGA.org membership administrator.
- Safeguards: AFGA site uses SSL, PayPal secure Payment Gateway, Secure Hosting security/backup/recovery services and strong admin password security services to help protect member data.
- Individual Access: AFGA makes personal information reasonably accessible to individuals. Each direct member has his/her own account dashboard to access their information. Each club (along with their member roster data) have a club account dashboard access to their information, as well. The club account credentials are sent to the Buyer or Buyer Agent upon purchase completion via email.
- Challenging Compliance: AFGA has adopted a system (documented below) to facilitate inquiries and complaints of individuals made in writing to AFGA with respect to compliance.
Purpose Notification and Consent: When personal information is collected, buyers and buyer agents are aware that this information is being collected during the purchase process. Consent is obtained when they select “I have read and agree to the terms and conditions” box on the final page at Check Out.
Designated Contact: The designated contact for written privacy concerns or complaints is:
AFGA Membership – Data Privacy Administrator
13045 – 156 St NW,
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada